Apr 4, 2015

Checking Out Dark Matter's Stardust Shadows and Gravity Primer

Disclaimer: I am currently in the process of reswatching duochromes and photographing them differently to give my readers a more accurate depiction of the shifts. Please be patient while I go through the process of updating my past reviews. :)

Hey, guys! I took a bit of a break last week after a bout of writers' block, but now I'm back! Today I'm going to swatch and review four Stardust shadows from Dark Matter, as well as put their new(ish) Gravity primer to the test. Dark Matter opened in 2012, and came to light in IMAM last year. This is my first order from Dark Matter, but I'd been eyeing the company for a while. From a collection honoring badass female contributors to the world of science, to adorable star shaped swatches, I've been impressed.

When Dom released the Gravity Eyeshadow Primer, I finally bit the bullet and placed my order. My purchase was for three eyeshadow samples, and came with an additional shadow sample and a clamshell sample of the Gravity Primer. Keep in mind non-GWP shadow samples come in "test tubes". Such a cute name, and the tubes hold true to the science theme of Dark Matter, but they're very skinny and my brush couldn't fit in them. For my review today, I poured a tiny bit onto a business card and used them from there. When my shipment of jars arrives, I'll be depotting these. Sometimes theming needs to take a backseat to practicality.


L-R: Aries, Virgo, Aquarius, Betelgeuse, Gravity Eyeshadow Primer

Because I'm reviewing Dark Matter's Gravity Primer, my swatches are going to be a little different. From left to right and top to bottom, shadows will be swatched over bare skin, Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy, and Dark Matter's Gravity Eyeshadow Primer. As usual, all quoted descriptions are taken off Dark Matter's Etsy shop page, which you can check out here!


The elusive Gravity Primer in its natural habitat..

Let's start off with my first impression of Gravity, Dark Matter's primer. Gravity was advertised as part primer, part glitter glue. I'd say this is definitely a bit of both. It's a milky white both in the clamshell and on my skin, and stays tacky on your skin after applying. The consistency feels somewhere between Pixie Epoxy and e.l.f. Glitter Glue. I've yet to give this a test run, but I'll report back when I do! So far I feel like I haven't quite mastered the application yet. Onto the shadows!


Aries: "a light metallic gold with gold sparks"

This was a pale metallic dandelion yellow with gold sparks. It didn't hold up too well over bare skin, but looked nice over my primers. I think it performed the best over Pixie Epoxy, but I also think I went too heavy on the Gravity primer. A little goes a looong way, and I didn't realize it.


Virgo: "a light pink that has a golden duochrome"

This shadow leaned lilac on bare skin and UDPP, but was true to description over Pixie Epoxy and Gravity. This is a really delicate shade, and I'll be pairing it with brighter pinks and rose golds for Spring.


Aquarius: "a duochrome that shifts from a dark, yet pure blue to a metallic gold"

I was really impressed with the pigmentation over bare skin here. I wouldn't consider this to be a duochrome, however. Over primers, the shadow definitely transforms, but the color doesn't shift depending on the angle you look at it or the light hitting it. For me, the blue doesn't change to a metallic gold, but rather an antiqued green-gold. It isn't very true to the description, but I still like it.


Betelgeuse: "a chocolate burgundy base under an extreme flash of gold glittering highlight"

This actually ended up being my favorite of the bunch! This is a shadow that has the "glowing from within effect" that I love so much. The antique gold really pops over the dark base. I think the glowing effect is lost a bit over Gravity Primer.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with my order. The Stardusts are very pigmented over bare skin, and they look so beautiful over Pixie Epoxy and Gravity. I can't wait to try Aquarius and Betelgeuse as liners! Gravity is a great option for those who don't want to pick between a primer or a glitter glue. But since it's a bit of both, don't expect it to make your shadows pop like Pixie Epoxy does. In terms of learning how to apply it, I'd say it has the same learning curve as Pixie Epoxy. I also think that because of its color, it might not look quite right on someone with darker skin that me. I'm glad I was sent a sample of Gravity, but since I already have a primer and glitter glue I love, I likely won't be purchasing a full size unless it performs wonderfully on my oil slick eyelids.

Well, that wraps up my review! I'd definitely recommend Dark Matter to any indie lover. Dom definitely didn't disappoint, and I'm excited to see what she comes up with next!

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/13553453/?claim=q7aqenwmaea">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your great review, Destiny! ^_^

    ReplyDelete