Feb 16, 2015

Aromaleigh Swatches and Reviews

Disclaimer: I am currently in the process of reswatching duochromes and photographing them differently to give my readers a more accurate depiction of the shifts. Please be patient while I go through the process of updating my past reviews. :)

Happy Monday, everyone! Today I'm going to be reviewing my latest purchase from Aromaleigh Cosmetics. Aromaleigh was founded in 1998 (wow!) and their company has a lot to offer an indie newcomer or veteran. The company offers products ranging from shadows to blushes to finishing powders and primers. With collections inspired by neurodiversity, Ancient Rome, Blade Runner, and Sherlock, Aromaleigh has a little something for everyone.

Alright! Onto my swatches and reviews! All pictures are taken by me, and all quoted descriptions are taken directly from Aromaleigh's site. Swatches are bare skin on the left, and Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy on the right.


Marguerite: "a rosy buff pearl frost with sparks of gold"

This is such a gorgeous frosty peach. A little hint of flush and a soft shimmer. Perfect for a one-shadow eye look or easily incorporated into softer looks.


Pyroclastic Flow: "a warm rose with a copper duo chrome highlight, and golden sparkles"

This is Marguerite's pinker cousin. I'm not able to pick up the copper highlight, so this reminds me of Hello Waffle's Purr-ide and Purr-ejudice quite a bit.


Hesperides: "a plush terracotta shade with a strong golden to chartreuse color traveling duochrome"

On Aromaleigh's site, this shadow is a gorgeous autumny orange-yellow with a strong golden shift. However, for me this is falling flat as a dull semi-matte terracotta. I'm suspicious this may be from a bad batch, as it looks like this shadow is just the base. It's lacking the dramatic shift entirely.


Lucky Cat Emporium: "a smooth cinnabar frost with bright shades of jade green"

This is such a funky shade, and I love it. A rusty red with bright jade sparkles. I don't know if any other indie company makes a shade like this! The contrast between the warm base and the cool sparkles is so unexpected, yet it seems like they were meant to be.


Experimental Drug: "a rich warm reddish brown with cool silvery iridescence of green, blue and violet"

This is another color that captures the beauty of contrast. From some angles, this shadow is an earthy red-brown, but in the light it transforms into a reddish lavender with a shimmer of cool hues.


Pool: "a rich greyed neutral blue matte"

I really wanted to love Pool after being disappointed by Beauty for the Win's Okay, but this shadow is patch city. The hunt for a periwinkle matte shadow continues.


Faunus: "a soft mossy green with gold tones, and interference shimmers of blue and violet"

Mermaids, rejoice! This is the shadow for you! My picture does the shadow no justice. In sunlight, it's a soft turquoise with a shift of gold and subtle blue and violet sparks. This shadow is definitely made from mermaid scales.


Destiny: "a frost finish in a rich deep neutral forest green shade"

Let's be honest: I bought this because my name is Destiny. Anyway.. this is a frosty neutral green that almost borders on metallic for me. I love using this as an outer v shadow with Faunus as the base.


Et Tu, Brute?: "a rich Tyrian purple with red duochrome and shards of red sparks"

Even in the pictures on Aromaleigh's site, this shadow has no red shift or sparks. I wish it could be a little.. bloodier looking. (I was stage manager for a production of Julius Caesar, and the front row of seats were labeled the "splash zone".) Despite the lack of red, this is a pretty lavender with a slight pink shift when the light hits it just right.


Walpurgisnacht: "a deep blue which shifts to violet due to it's strong reddish/violet duochrome. It also has fiery copper sparks!"

Fans of Madoka Magica, you know what's up. Walpurgisnacht is a dusty grey periwinkle with subtle copper sparks. I love blending this shadow into my crease for.. witchier looks. ;) (If you haven't watched Madoka Magica, please do.)

Despite a few shadows not matching up with site photos or descriptions, I'm pretty pleased with my little haul! Check out Aromaleigh's website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment