May 11, 2015

My First Darling Clandestine Haul!

Not sure if you'd call this a haul, since it's only two bitsies, but I'm excited nonetheless! Darling Clandestine has been on my radar for a while, and I finally pulled the trigger (with a second order already on the way). This order consisted of bitsy vials of Mayfly and Blue Valentine.


These bitsies are a great deal. You get a one-dram bottle with cute labels for only $5, and these will last you forever. These came in a little baggie along with a few pieces of chicken and shark confetti, and some yummy tea bags. The hype is real, guys. Evonne rocks. My fiance, Charles, is allowing me to use his nose for this review as well.

So here's my little spiel for my fragrance reviews: Your mileage may vary! Please don't take my reviews too seriously. If you buy these perfumes, they may smell better or worse than what I say. I'm not responsible for the human senses being fickle. Quoted descriptions are taken from various sources, as Darling Clandestine cycles their fragrances, so descriptions can't always be found on the Etsy shop page.

~~~

Mayfly: "Opens deceptively sweet with notes of plum blossom, lilac, and other damp, delicate budding blossoms, then gets deeper and jade-greener and muddier and woodier. Petals on a wet, black bough."

Cold sniff- A quick whiff is sweet lilac, and long sniff is plum blossom and heavy rain. A deep forest at night standing amongst the wet, sweet blossoms. Charles says, "Really crisp, and incense."

Fifteen minutes after application- A powdery floral, with just enough wood smell to balance out the powder. I like it, but I feel like to some people, this could border on old people smell or cheap candle. Charles says, "Wet." He's a poet, guys.

~~~

Blue Valentine: "A moody bouquet of hyacinth and violet and poppies and figs, washed down with shots of whiskey and bitters and delicate musks and mint. Very potent, very heady."

Cold sniff- A quick whiff is fig and strong mint, and long sniff is a hyacinth, violet, musk, and whiskey. A bouquet angrily tossed on the couch as you drown yourself in liquor. Such a moody scent. Charles says, "Sweet. I'm bad at smelling. I kinda smell watermelon."

Fifteen minutes after application- This dries down to figs and whiskey with a hint of sharp mint for me. A little disappointing, because the scent is much more complex in the vial, but I love the scent nonetheless. Charles says, "I don't knooooow. It's leafy and green." Okay, he's halfway there. I won't fire him. Yet.

~~~

Alright, that wraps up my reviews! Would I buy from Darling Clandestine again? Totally! The day I got these bitsies, I placed an order for a bitsy of Tilt-a-Whirl. I definitely recommend trialing these perfumes as bitsy oils or solids first, as a lot of these scents are very unique. You really won't know what to expect until you try them out, and you'll either love 'em or hate 'em. Luckily, there are plenty of people who would love to take unloved DC products off your hands. :)

I know I promised a comparison post of Performance Colors Zombie Bride and Fyrinnae's Wizardry, but lately my face has broken out.. all around my lip region. I'll do my swatches as soon as my skin decides to calm it's crap down. Until then, I have plenty of recent hauls to review, from Shiro's new Animal Crossing shadows to Aromaleigh's May Ephemera Box to Darling Girl's Once Upon a Time shadows. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment